Welcome!

This is Phase 1 of my new blog.
The stated purpose of this blog is to share spiritual reflections that arise from fly fishing.

Having just completed a two-year interim as pastor at Holiday Island Presbyterian Church, I have returned to retirement and the pursuit of fishing.

Although I would never compare myself to the Apostle Peter, I remember a passage from John 21:1-7a (NIV)

Shortly after the death of Jesus, Peter returned to fishing. 
"It happened this way: Simon Peter, Thomas (also known as Didymus[b]), Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two other disciples were together. “I’m going out to fish,” Simon Peter told them, and they said, “We’ll go with you.” So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing. Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. He called out to them, “Friends, haven’t you any fish?” “No,” they answered.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish. Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, “It is the Lord!”

There have been - and will be - those days when the fish just aren't interested in anything I may offer them. On those days, perhaps I should scan the shoreline more closely to see if Jesus is watching and could perhaps lend a hand?

However, for me, the joy in fishing is not confined to either the number or quality of the fish I catch. It is the whole experience. 

Fishing is an act of hope; perhaps even an act of faith. It begins with the expectation of success. Since I tie my own flies, there is the added joy of tricking some fish with something I created. That in itself brings great joy to my soul.

In addition, I usually fish with someone I respect and admire. Sharing these fishing trips with someone else increases the joy as I find I can rejoice in their success as well as my own.

Out of deep respect for the fish, I almost always return them to the water to continue to grow; perhaps a little more wary now.

Although I have not actually seen Jesus on any of these outings, often if I will just slow down, lower my fly rod, and be in the moment, I can certainly feel the presence of the Great Fisherman.

And I consider myself blessed.
Tight lines and full nets,
Doug

Comments

  1. I like it. He is always out there. So are the voices of absent friends. They can be heard in the riffles and eddies and also in the fog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,
    As beautiful as profound. Fishing for me is similar to golf.
    Fun and a good excuse to drink beer. I suggest one enjoy both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your comments. They are truly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justice Monsters
    There is a little monster living in each of us that goes by the name of "Justice." Mostly, we keep it safely locked away and out of sight.

    Then, somebody wrongs us - either intentionally or unintentionally. We hear of an offense that manages to escape the consequences we think it deserves. And with the words: "That's not right" the little justice monster is released and proceeds to unbind our tongues and harden our hearts and demand that "justice" be served.

    Yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

    I have discovered that this little justice monster cannot exist on a river or stream. Whenever I pick up a fly rod and head to either, the little justice monster in me retreats to the very back of my mind.

    Jesus once said, “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other." Luke 16:13. At the time, Jesus was talking about serving God or serving money. But, it applies perfectly to what I am saying about the justice monster.

    If we carry our thirst for justice onto a stream or river, we are robbing ourselves of the pure joy of just being there. Instead of marveling at the Ozark paradise in which we live, we focus on the darker side of ourselves that has no place in that setting. Instead of strategizing how we will trick the next fish, we are hatching plans to get even. And you simply cannot do both. As Jesus said, you can serve on or the other.

    Me? I’m doing my best to enjoy fishing and leave the little justice monster where it belongs; out of sight and out of mind!

    May God bless you with peace and prosperity and a great hobby!

    Tight lines and full nets,
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all know or have been taught the dangers and pitfalls of the "Big Monsters " And so through our vigilance and with God's help we can keep them defeated or at least suppressed. But the Word teaches us that it's th " little fox" that spoils the grapes. I sometimes think that the big monsters are easier to fight.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog