Anticipation


     Some years ago, close friends of ours shared a unique Christmas custom. Each would buy their own Christmas presents, wrap them, put them under the tree, all without telling the other what they had bought for themselves.
     Then on Christmas morning (or whenever they opened their gifts) the wife would discover what she had bought for the husband and vice versa.
     Yeah, it’s different. We decided to give it a try.
     Here’s what I have found. First of all, I had no idea my wife knew as much about fly fishing, fly tying material and tools. Wow! She’s good at picking just the right present! On the other hand, I have never failed to buy the right size, color and style for my wife. She is always pleased with her presents!
     That’s the obvious part. Here’s the hidden gem in this method.
     For weeks before the day we open the presents, I know what I am getting. It’s the anticipation! I think the anticipation is greater than the surprise. Often I think about what is under the tree for me and with each passing day – as the day gets closer – my anticipation increases exponentially.
     What has all this to do with fishing? Bear with me on this.
     When you factor in a nice day with hungry fish, that is anticipation. That day is coming. It could be tomorrow – although the weather forecast says differently. It could be next week.
     Anticipation.
     Somewhere out there a trophy trout or smallmouth bass is waiting. One day, the time will be right, the weather will be optimal, I’ll have the right fly and will place it directly in front of the fish and my anticipation will become a reality. My anticipation  is a product of both my faith and experience.
     I think anticipation is the hallmark of a Christian. As the scripture says: “Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.” Hebrews 11:1 Anticipation is a variation of faith. It is a blend of knowledge and hope. It is all intertwined and attaches itself to our souls.
     Jesus – through the Holy Spirit – calls me to greater righteousness just as surely as the packages under the tree whisper my name. I know that when the day comes for me to open those gifts, I will be happy and satisfied. And each day that I struggle to be kinder, more faithful, less judgmental, more Christlike, I become happier and more at peace with myself and those around me.
     I’m not there yet. I’m still on the journey. I invite you to come along with me. After all, the season of Advent is a season of anticipation.
     May God bless us all,
     Doug

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!