Size Matters


          Mark Twain once said: “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight; it’s the size of the fight in the dog.” Perhaps he’s right. And when it when it comes to fly fishing, size really matters!
          I know, you think I am referring to the size of the fish. Well, that’s another story for another day. Who knows, it could even be true. This time.
          I’m talking about the size of the fly presented to the trout. One would think that the larger the fish, the larger the fly. One would most often be wrong. It’s counter-intuitive, but the larger fish are most often caught on the smaller fly. Notice I said "most often." There are exceptions.
          There is an unofficial club called the “20-20” club. It has no formal membership or dues. It is simply a way to earn bragging rights for catching a 20 inch trout on a size 20 fly. For reference, a size 20 fly is a little less than ¼ inch in length. To that very small hook is added a body, tail, wing, and thorax. It is a real chore to tie one that small. But the potential reward is great, indeed.
          I am a proud member of this “club.” My personal best is a 23” trout on a size 20 Adams dry fly. That fly took me a long time to tie. Obviously, it worked. That time.
          Here’s my point.
          It is not necessarily the big things we do in life that gain the biggest results. Sometimes the smallest act can have a cumulative effect over time that results in great changes. A smile can lead to a depressed person finding hope. A kind word can be just the encouragement a person needs to continue his/her quest. A handshake can signal acceptance to someone who feels excluded.
          I believe that God places people in our path who offer us a small opportunity for change. I believe those people drift across our paths to help us through tough times. I also believe God places us in the lives of others so we can offer a small action that will be the catalyst for change in their lives.
          So, I’ll keep struggling to tie size 20 flies in hopes of catching bigger fish. And I’ll try to remember to add some encouragement or joy to others. Who knows what the outcome may be? Bigger fish, perhaps. Maybe even a new friend.
          May God bless us all.
          Doug

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!