EGO TRIPS


EGO TRIPS

          Recently, I reported that I had been invited to teach a session at Fly Fishing International conclave in Bozeman, MT.
          After giving it a lot of thought – and prayer – I have declined their offer.
          I would like to say it was because of the expense and time. Because of the amount of material I would need to take for the class, the only option would be to drive. That would be at least 2 days up and 2 days back; hotel rooms for 7+ days; fees for a guide and license if I wanted to fish some of the legendary rivers. I have the money, but don't think it is wise to spend it on that trip.
          The truth is that I realized two things.
          First of all, it would be little more than an ego trip for me. It would be an opportunity to become better known in the fly fishing/tying community. Seriously? Do I think I need that recognition? No. It won’t make me a better fisherman, a better fly tier or a better person. I am content with who I am. Finally.
          The second reason stems from a very old adage that was taught to me years ago by an older fishing buddy, Glen Moats. He drilled into me: “Don’t leave fish to find fish.”
          While fishing in Montana can be epic, the fishing around here is just as good. The White River, the North Fork of the White River, the trout parks all over Missouri, the small streams in Southern Missouri are all epic. Why would I want to go there when many of them are coming here to fish our rivers and streams?
          Bottom line: I asked myself whether or not I am content to be who I am at this moment in time. The answer is “yes.”
          Oh, I could use some improvement – and you don’t have to point that out! I could lose more weight, I could exercise more, I could clean up my language, I could be kinder. But those are things I don’t need to leave home to accomplish.
          So, I’m staying home, wrapping some new fly rods, tying some flies, and fishing locally.
          I thank God for the wisdom to see where I was heading and to whisper to me that I didn’t need the ego trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!