With God As My Guide

     On a recent fishing outing, I was sitting in the shade of a tree enjoying a light lunch when a drift boat came floating by.
     A drift boat is one which has a shallow draft (able to float in shallow water) and is usually propelled by oars. It has a casting station in the front from which a person can fish as the boat drifts along the river.
     This particular boat had a client perched in the casting station and the guide was manning the oars. None of which is remarkable.
     However, the thought struck me - or perhaps God poked me - how like the Holy Spirit a fishing guide can be.
     The guide was carefully and adroitly steering the boat around rocks and sandbars. All the while, the guide is encouraging the client, coaching the client, pointing out where the fish are most likely to be and the best spot to present a fly.
     And it began to dawn on me that much like that guide in the drift boat, God guides us through life; encouraging us, directing us, helping us focus on what is best for us. The Psalmist said it this way: "For this God is our God for ever and ever; God will be our guide even to the end." Psalm 48:14
     The role of the Holy Spirit was once explained to me by a mentor, Dr. Jim Ogelsby. He said the Holy Spirit is like a coach. A coach doesn't actively participate in the game, but encourages, directs, and helps us focus from the sidelines. It is God, through the Holy Spirit, that whispers directions to us; advising us which decisions to make. All the while respecting our free will and allowing us to make our own decisions.
     Having fished with a guide in the past, I know the value of listening to one who has more knowledge and experience that I have. When a guide tells me there is a large trout lurking behind a particular rock, it is then up to me to heed the advice or not.  Most times, if I heed the advice, my reward is far greater than if I took it upon myself to disregard the advice.
     Do I think God placed me under that tree and sent that drift boat by? Probably not. That is a bit too deterministic for me. 
     However, I think God whispered to me there is a great lesson to be learned here. I think God was saying: "Look up, pay attention, this is an important reminder for you."  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!